Wednesday, May 10, 2006

PRCA Photographer Fly Thomas Injured

PRCA Photographer Fly Thomas  was injured Saturday night while photographing the bull riding portion at a rodeo near his home.Fly had just changed sides  of the arena to get a different perspective on the rides when   he had to jump up on the arena wall to avoid a bull who was intent on clearing the arena.Fly is quite tall and he was unable to get his right foot up high enough and the bull drilled it into the wall.Fly was taken to the local hospital in Edmond,Oklahoma where he underwent  three hours of surgery and had an external fixator  put on his ankle and leg.He not only shattered his ankle but broke both bones  in the leg right above his right ankle. He told me his foot looked like it was just dangling loose there which tells me  he also had soft tissue damage.

I can relate to this as I had the very same injuries from stepping wrong in red clay and shattered my right ankle,broke both bones above it and also suffered a complete dislocation with torn tendons and ligaments. several years ago.My heart goes out to Fly.Know just what he is feeling.Fly returns for major surgery in two weeks when plates and pins will be put in.This big guy has a heart of gold and is so very caring.I hope everyone who reads this and knows Fly will send him a card or at least wish him well.

No comments: