Saturday, May 10, 2008

Making It In The CBR-Spud Jones

Spud Jones-Living His Dream
I was very impressed when I met Spud Jones at the CBR  event in Longview ,TX this past fall.  He was a pleasure to interview; and I was really glad that Teri Lann and I got the chance to meet him.Teri got some good pictures of him during the interview and during the event.Spud can really ride. He stays centered and has picture perfect leg and free arm movement even when he draws a small bull.Spud is one tall cowboy.
Spud who is from Tohatchi,NM  told me he began riding  at the tender age of three( mutton bustin ) and he went on to compete  in Indian Junior Rodeo. He graduated from mutton bustin to steers  and then to bulls  and broncs.He became an all around cowboy and he added calf roping and team roping to his  events and like the great Arby Little Soldier he excels at all. Spud is a Navajo Nation Champion,AIRCA World Champion and 2007 IIFR World Champion Bull Rider.
Spud went on to tell me that he made it to the 2005 National High School Finals Rodeo in Gillette,Wyoming. I had hoped to see Spud at the 2006 NHSFR in 2006 but neither he nor I made it to Springfield ,Ill.Spud  who was the AIRCA 2006 All Around Champion had a broken leg and I had bulls bucking at Finals in KY.
I asked Spud how he stayed centered and focused  he told me"Always go after your dream." That is his method . He also said "I'm living my dream now .I am making it to the CBR  Finals in Las Vegas.He had the biggest smile on his face . Spud had won the CBR event in Window Rock,AZ which was held in conjunction with the Navajo Nation Fair and that qualified Spud for the Finals . 
When I asked about goals there was of course the wish to not just make it to the CBR Finals but to become a CBR World Champion.He also wants to qualify for the NFR.as since he turned 18 Spud has been in the PRCA. I can see Spud not just as a Word Champion bull rider in both the CBR and PRCA, but also as  a World Champion All Around Cowboy.
Spud's role models in life are his mother and father.You could see the devotion for family in his eyes as he spoke about that. As far as bull riding idols and all around cowboys he said  his idols are Denny Flynn, Gary Toole,Marty Staneart and of course Tuff Hedeman.His advice to American Indian youth:"Keep trying. Keep going after your goal.That's what you got to do." When I asked him "Hold on till the end?" He grinned and said yes. We both agreed that  today's Indian youth on troubled reservations need to find a dream and go for it.Once again Spud said:"Never give up."
I am not alone in seeing Spud as a future World Champion.4X World Champion and CBR President Tuff Hedeman is really high on Spud and has even called himself Spud's numb one fan  during a recent CBR broadcast on RFD-TV.I guess Tuff and I will have to go round  and round for that title!
 You can find more information on Spud at the CBR website www.cbrbull.com where he is currently their "King of the Month'.A healthy Spud Jones will someday rival Donny Gay's  record of 8 PRCA World Champion Bull Rider titles and if he continues in the all around category he will eclipse  Ty Murray's record. Spud has become a rising star in bull riding on the PRCA circuit since winning the event title in Denver this winter at the National Western Rodeo . He rode Locomotion, the toughest bull in the draw during the Final round to edge out Kanin Asay and Tyler  Johnston. Congratulations to Spud on his first  PRCA event title and also to other Indian riders who are making good inroads into the PRCA.  including PRCA #22  Bronc Rider Rollie Wilson(Indian World Champion)PRCA # 13 Team Roper  Derrick Begay and #39 Bull Rider Justin Gopher.
 Go for the gold Spud!

No comments: